While summer’s still alive and kickin’, as Labor Day has now come and gone, I find myself reflecting (again!) on summer and of course, my summer bucket list. How did I do? And what were my favorite moments? Things I still wished I’d done?
Well, let’s start with where I stand vs. my summer bucket list. Of course, there’s still time to do some of these things, right?
- Go to an outdoor concert. Sadly, I didn’t accomplish this. I haven’t found a concert in the area that I want to go to, but hey, there’s still time, maybe, right?!
- Maine, Maine and more Maine. Check, check, check, check, check and check (the last one also takes the cake as my most favorite moment of the summer)!
- Dine ‘al fresco’ as often as possible. I definitely did a lot of this over the summer. At my old place, at M’s old place and most recently, at our new digs. There’s just nothing better than eating a meal outside. I have no idea why, but it is utterly euphoric.
- Go to the Cape. Fail. This didn’t happen. Almost, but did not. On my list for 2012!
- Run a half marathon. Check, though not as happy with the result of the race, I absolutely LOVED half marathon training during the summer months. That summer run by the beach? Yeah, that will forever be in my memory. Getting lost? Bunnies? Yep, loved that too! And I am still planning that 13.1 redo, I just may need to change the timeframe a bit. Stay tuned on that, friends.
- Go to the beach…at least 15 times. I actually didn’t keep track. Fail on my part. I would say I probably hit the beach at least 10 times. So I will give myself a B+ on this one 😉 (hey, it’s my blog, my award system!)
- Stomp grapes. Fail. Did NOT do this. HOWEVER, wine country vacation? Snuck up on me…it’s less than three weeks away! 9/21 baby! So maybe I can stomp grapes in Healdsburg? My second love affair to show M? 😉
- Take a walk. A+!! I did this! Quite a bit actually, and I plan to keep at it. Walks have been awesome for me, especially this one.
- Go blueberry picking Fail. I was thisclose to picking a few weeks ago but the farm closed early in Maine due to a bad season this year. But I plan to apple pick AND I strawberry picked. That counts, right?
- Roll down a hill. Without fear of spiders, tickets or, yes, getting dirty (this one courtesy of my sis, hehe). Oh, to be 12, again. <– fail,fail,fail. I’m a wuss. Spiders scare me. But I do have a lovely golf course I am staring out at as we speak that is screaming to be rolled down. Perhaps I’ll still do it 😉
So, as far as my summer bucket list went? I think I fared pretty well.
Things that I wished I had a chance to do?
Take a full week off to go to Maine. Schedule-wise and work-wise, it just didn’t happen this year. But I spent as much time as I could in Maine and would say that I went to Maine more often this summer than previous summers, but didn’t get to stay as long. I would also say that I appreciated the time I was able to spend there, with family, M, friends, realizing that not many get this kind of home-away-from-home. I do. And I appreciate it every single time.
As the summer wore on and M and I took the plunge into finding our new digs, I started to feel in limbo. Half packed, staying at my place, and then at M’s and just in this in-between, can’t-we-be-living-together-already feeling that I felt unorganized and anxious. It put a damper on my mood sometimes, but the move was worth it. Worth every frustration and meltdown. Worth IT!
I’ve lived a full summer. And while I am feeling a little down today as the weather shifts into fall-mode (rainy and chilly vs. hot and humid all weekend…what’s up with that?!), I am going to enjoy each and every summer day that’s left and carry that enjoy-the-season feeling into fall – and yes, winter too – as much as possible. Because it’s not what’s around you that’s important, it’s how you embrace it and live it.
How did you fare on your own summer bucket lists of sorts? Was it kick-ass?