Every Wednesday night, M and I do a ‘date night in’ as the rest of the workweek we usually don’t get to eat dinner together until at least 8, given M works late on Tuesdays and I have barre n9ne two nights a week that mean getting home later than the ‘average’ dinner time. So, inevitably, the night feels rushed, despite our best efforts (to eat dinner at the table – a must, with no distractions, like the TV or our phones).
We both look forward to these dates nights in, as we make them special, we cook together, we have a leisurely evening (M gets home at 5 on Wednesdays, huge score!), and a glass of wine or two (it *is* winesday after all…). So, last night we began talking about trips we’d like to take, things we’d like to do together this year and unofficially came up with a great list of ‘fun date’ night (or day or weekend!) bucket list items for 2012.
Part of the reason in actually writing down our list (and sharing it here), is because I’d rather actually put these into action, rather than say ‘oh, we should go to NYC for the weekend sometime’, or ‘we should check out some local wineries here’ and then never actually get around to planning them. For as type A and a ‘planner’ as I can be, sometimes planning fun things doesn’t always pan out, given how weekends get snapped up so easily sometimes. (part of my rationale in planning out some of these is also two-fold: so I don’t become overplanned or overscheduled either, and dabble some of these in on weekends that are open, and then work around those planned weekends to keep some weekends still freed up for those downtime weekends we ALL need).
(wow that was a ramble to actually get to my list, wasn’t it? Moving on.)
2012 Fun Date Bucket List
(an idea also
adapted stolen borrowed from a great list from CBG and Sunshine!):
- Take weekend mini-vacations: Since we have decided that we are pretty much not doing a winter vaca anywhere, we came up with a list of mini-vacation spots that are quick to get to and that would allow us to explore some areas, tourist-style (and perhaps to meet up with blog friends in these areas?!). Possibilities include: New York City, Washington DC, Vermont (yes, I live in NE, yet never been to Vermont), Florida (to visit a bestie, Amy. Miss youuu!).
- Go on a ‘culinary tour’ of Boston: There are some restaurants I have been dying to try (while I prefer to eat-in much of the time, spreading these out over the year and really saving up for good, quality meals out, fancy-pants style sounds awesome!), so we’ve concocted the idea of a culinary tour of great eats in the city and surrounding areas, including: Mooo, Mistral, L’Espalier, Blue Ginger (Ming Tsai’s restaurant!) and a few of our faves, including Lala Rokh and Bin26.
- Try new foods. This is sort of part two to the aforementioned culinary tour. I have tried shabu shabu once (in California) and LOVED it, so I’d love to find a good place here to try. I’ve also always randomly wanted to try Pho and have never had it. Those are two examples, and I’m sure there are others I am forgetting at the moment.
- Hit up a local casino, Vegas-style. Since Vegas may or may not be in the cards this year (my sister and brother in law may be going, and there’s an outside chance we could go with them), this is our fun way of capturing the essence of Vegas, but locally. Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods, anyone? (note: I am not a gambler in the slightest, but M enjoys it sometimes and I’m all for a show or a spa excursion while he does that…twist my arm.)
- Visit some local wineries. As much as I adore wine country – like whoa – there are some local wineries in New Hampshire and Cape Cod that I always want to try, but never actually do it. Firmly on my list this year!
- Spend a weekend on the Cape. Another item that was on my summer bucket list last year, but we never went. Perhaps an early summer or fall trip for this one (too tourist-y and expensive in the dead of summer, and hello, we have Maine!)
- Go ice skating on Frog Pond in Boston. Must.
- Go to a strip club. Yes, I’m serious.
- Go to a Red Sox game this summer. Another one we always talk about doing but never actually do.
- Fly a kite. M looked at me funny when I suggested this. But I think it would be fun. Perhaps in tandem with #11…
- Go on a picnic! Wine, cheese, fruit. Yes, please.
- Go to the Aquarium. Seriously. I love penguins.
So, there you have it, our list of 2012 fun date bucket list ideas. The great thing about this list is that while I’d of course love to do all of them this year, this *is* a bucket list, so we could always carry these forward into next year, too. But my goal would be that we at least hit half of these in 2012. Whatcha think? Any locals wanna join us on any of these? 😉