So, I am totally psyched that a few of you are interested in joining (or quasi-joining) me in the 6-month running challenge! (Lee, Alicia, Dorry, Amber, Katrina for running, Sally for walking, Nikki for yoga). Any others interested, feel free to comment here or email me! I think it’ll be a fun way of keeping myself motivated and accountable, and a fun way to do it together, virtually, with all of you that would like to maintain a steady running goal this winter, or any other yoga/walking/[insert activity here] goal during the winter months.
I’ll probably post every week to start and then drop back to every other week or every few weeks, depending on progress made etc., (and because I think if I write about this every single week, I might not have enough to say as the weeks wear on, ya know? Trying to keep it real, here, peeps!) and anyone else who opts to follow this challenge, if you do blog about it, link back here so I can link to it in a future post (or just email me your post, but I am pretty sure I will be reading it anyway!!).
My plan is to keep it ‘loose:’
Start: week of 11/27 End: week of 5/28
- One interval run (following these, these, or these) – if anyone has suggestions on other good intervals for me to try, I am ALL ears! My goal will be to increase my pace with each weekly interval run. Whether that is .1 or .5 faster, I’ll aim to increase.
- One ‘maintenance’ run – this will be my 4-6 miler each week. It’ll likely increase past this distance, I’d imagine, as the months tick by, but for now, this is my intended distance.
- One ‘longer’ run – this is my stretch goal for myself, not gonna lie. This one ties back to my goal to keep my distance steady this winter so I am not starting from scratch once the warm weather returns. I’ll start at 6 miles for my ‘long’ run next week and will increase it by .5 each week or two to up my distance. I’m not giving myself a ‘limit’ on the distance I’ll go here yet, because I honestly want to see how it goes and how long I can stand to be on the dreadmill. I’d love to get to 8 miles or more, but I’ll stick with a ‘we’ll see’ on this one (told ya, keeping it loose!).
- One cross-training cardio workout: spinning. I’ve started doing some spinning again and really like the switch up from running once a week.
- barre n9ne workouts: this will be my strength training and toning each week, as per my usual 🙂 (but I assume others following this routine may opt for different things for their own strength training activities).
There you have it – my schedule for the next 6 months, give or take. I will, of course, adjust this as I go, but I am excited at the prospect of seeing where I’ve improved come May timeframe. Who knows…maybe a half marathon in the not-too-distant future (May, June, July?!)?? Never say never.
So, who’s with me?! Let’s get ‘er done…the 6-month running challenge (#6morunchallenge sounds like a good Twitter hashtag, right?) (oh, and I am also participating in this little holiday challenge…figure why not, right? Already doing the required workouts, why not kick it up a notch!)